22.8.14

Finishing the unfinished


Let's call it an end-of-year resolution. Finish The Unfinished is a campaign to tidy up your craft-life and give you more space, physically and creatively. It's a simple idea: don't start any new projects until you have completed all those not-yet-finished projects. I read about it in Alessandra Taccia's beautiful blog and it set alarm bells ringing. Uh-oh. My cupboard under the stairs is a SHRINE to unfinished craft projects. There are bags upon bags of wool, two boxes full of fabric (one for yardage; one for ridiculously small pieces of scrap) a shopper filled with leather + tools and a basket of single socks. So, now that the air is distinctly chilly, I've decided to take out my knitting basket and start with the socks. Who knows?- maybe one day, I'll open my cupboard and be able to see my vacuum cleaner...





I use this basic pattern for all my socks. It's a toe-up pattern and I will never, ever go back to making socks the other way round. If you haven't tried toe-up socks before, I promise that it's not too hard and you will be amazed at how seamless they are to make. I found the designs on Ravelry here and here and I made a few adjustments so they fit with my toe-up pattern.


I've just started using Lang's 'Jawoll' sock wool and it's a pretty good go-to for everyday sock-knitting. It has a small acrylic content to add softness and durability and comes with a spool of 2-ply that you use to strengthen the toe and heel. How clever?! (If I'm making special socks, I use Koigu. Oh Koigu, so beautiful and so eye-wateringly expensive.)


Do you have unfinished craft business? 
(I bet you do - who can resist the excitement of starting a new project?)

Join in Finish the Unfinished and tell me all about it!!

2 comments:

  1. Ah, one sock syndrome. It's pretty common I hear. But they're so cute! I hope you'll finish them some day.

    I do have some unfinished knitting projects. In fact, I never even finished my first scarf. (Though it is very, very long!) I also have half a black and almost neon royal blue houndstooth coat that I enthusiastically started but kind of gave up on because I need the perfect buttons before I can knit the second front part. It's been ages since I even touched it… Hope to finish it one day though, I bet it'll be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've almost completed my first pair, go me! I'd love to see your coat project. It sounds amazing! Surely we could track down the perfect buttons for you?

    ReplyDelete


Back to Top